Currently, the U.S. is facing a labor shortage due to a skills gap. Bureau of Labor Statistics has announced that the U.S. has more than 7 million jobs that aren’t filled. Because of the current condition, several firms have initiated to be more flexible when considering employees resulting in acquiring candidates with no college degrees. These companies include Bank of America, Apple, Google, and IBM.
A tech company like Facebook, believing that every employee has potential, is now focusing on the skills of employees to benefit the company. Vice President of Human Resources of Facebook Janelle Gale said they prioritize the skills among applicants. She has given a piece of advice to applicants like you that, even though your profile doesn’t match the job requirements, you can still apply and show your full potential through skills. This may help you come out on top because the company looks for skills instead of experience. What will matter most is what you can bring to the table.
Observing hundreds of thousands of job listings, LinkedIn has evaluated its employment postings to pinpoint which skills are most needed by companies in 2019. Currently, rather than looking for specific titles and experience, employers are hiring employees who have both soft and hard technical skills.
Five Coveted Soft Skills in 2019
- Creativity: With this, you can generate ideas in greater quantity and quality
- Time Management: Your efficient style as a manager can lead you to have a sustainable high performance on the job.
- Adaptability: As a manager, your skills like strategic agility and the ability to adjust quickly in a workplace are essential.
- Collaboration: To become a productive team member, you must learn to collaborate in a modern workplace to make useful principles and processes.
- Persuasion: To be successful, learning how to be a thought leader and persuade others can help you.
Five Coveted Hard Skills in 2019
- People Management: Leading with a purpose, enables you to motivate and engage your co-worker to surpass any conflicts in the workplace.
- UC Design: Knowledge in multi-device design and researching are plus factors.
- Analytical Reasoning: Your decision-making process is essential in the team.
- Artificial Intelligence: Life has never been more comfortable with machine learning.
- Cloud Computing: This type of networking environment has strengthened the security of web services.
As per LinkedIn, cloud computing and creativity have topped as the most liked soft and hard skills in 2019. Although digital skills may entail challenges, more and more people are embracing modern technologies to link to other people. Innovations allow people to deal with out-of-the-box reasoning and helped many to adjust to issues and new expectations quickly. If you have these human traits that most companies are looking for like people management, adaptability, and creativity, you can be one of the in-demand employees this year.